Monday, July 19, 2010

Thought for a Monday

To think too long about doing a thing often becomes its undoing.

~Eva Young


I am the master at overthinking things and psyching myself out. Ialways start out thinking I can do this; I just need to do this, this, this, and this.... And then I've thought too long and too much, and I get scared and it's over.

I do it on the mountain bike - I come up to a downhill and start thinking about all the things that could go wrong and before I know it, I'm giving up - getting off the bike and walking it down the hill.

I do it on the skateboard - I start cruising down a hill and thinking about how fast I could go and how much a fall will hurt, and the foot comes down and I'm slowing to a stop.

I do it before a run. I have a plan on how far I'm running on a particular day, and if I think about the distance any more than that initial plan, I start thinking about how hard it'll be and how much easier it would be to go shorter (or even not at all).

But I'm getting better with the runs. I try to get into what I call "The Little Engine That Could" mode: my mantra becomes "I think I can; I think I can; I think I can". And, if I can keep that mantra in my mind, it works. But keeping it up and not letting the thoughts of "it's too hot out here" and "there's such a long way to go" and other negative thinking drown it out is difficult.

I need to figure out a way to turn off the negative parts of my brain and stick with the "I can do this" mind set and be "The Little Engine That Could" every day.





No comments:

Post a Comment