Friday, July 9, 2010

Books that make me curious

Every now and then I'll read a book based some real historical event or place, and it will make me extremely curious. It happened when I read "The Terror" by Dan Simmons, and now Simmons is doing it to me again.

I'm currently reading "Black Hills". I'm a little less than halfway through (about 40% according to the Kindle), so I don't know if Paha Sapa succeeds in his plan to obliterate Mount Rushmore so that his vision of the Stone Presidents coming alive to devour the world does not come true.

I've always been interested in Native American history and I knew they considered the Black Hills to be sacred land, but I never gave any thought to how they might feel about a monument to 4 white men on their sacred ground.

So I'm going to do some more reading and some researching on the subject.

To start, here are a couple of articles that I've found for some background:
Article "Native American Culture and the Black Hills" : http://www.blackhillsvisitor.com/main.asp?id=14&cat_id=30118&open_id=71

Article "Paha Sapa - The Black Hills" : http://www.blackhillsvisitor.com/main.asp?id=14&cat_id=30034&open_id=71

No comments:

Post a Comment