Monday, June 28, 2010

Thought for a Monday

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."
--John Bingham
I've been following some runners on Twitter and I see where they've run marathons and ultra-runs and this race and that race. Then I look at myself: I've "run" one 5k race and came in last; I still have to walk some on my runs; a 10 minute mile would be super fast for me; my longest run to date is 7.1 miles.
There are days when I look at those statistics, and I think there's no way anybody would consider me a runner; I'm a poser, just out there playing at this running thing. No one is going to take me seriously - I'm way too slow; I don't go far enough.
But today I found this quote online. And it reminded me that it's not how fast or how far or how long. It's the getting out there and just doing it. So thank you, John Bingham, whoever you are. You have made me see that even though I am slow, I really am a runner

No comments:

Post a Comment