Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Great Mystery – Why do I run?

Below is a note that I wrote on Facebook back in October 2009, when running was still a really really new hobby of mine. 9 months later, I'm still a fairly new runner - still learning, still pretty slow, but adding distance all the time.

Some of the details have changed (such as Marc no longer rides his skateboard with me when I run, we actually run together (okay so there's some walking involved. We've adapted the Galloway walk/run program))

But for the most part, it's still an accurate portrait of why I decided to take up running:

Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Running is a new thing for me. I never thought it was something that I wanted to do. But recently that has changed. Why? Well, here's a few reasons:

1. It gives me another activity to do with my husband. They say the family that prays together stays together. That is true. It’s also true if you change one letter in that statement – the family that plays together stays together. And we try to play together as much as we can – bicycles, skateboards, whatever. Now we can run together too. Even though Marc is a stronger and faster runner than I am, we’ve worked out a system. Sometimes, he rides his longboard alongside me as I run, keeping me company. Other times, he goes on his runs, in the opposite direction around the loop and we pass each other, giving encouragement each time.

2. It’s a challenge (and I enjoy a challenge.) It’s tough; it hurts; sometimes it’s torture. But I get a great deal of satisfaction at the end, when I get to say “I DID IT!” I recently ran my first 5k race. I had only been running on a regular basis for a few weeks, and knew I wasn’t ready, but I did it anyway. It was tough, it hurt, it felt like torture. I came in dead last. But, I DID IT

3. It keeps me in shape. I don’t need to lose any weight. But I need to do something stay in shape. Running is a great way to do it. And darn it, it just makes my legs look awesome ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment