Sunday, December 11, 2011

Winter Series Race 1 (5k) Race report

For some reason when I sent in the pre-registration forms for my winter races, I didn't realize until after I mailed them in that I now have 2 weekends where I'm running races both days - this weekend was the first of those.  Run Run Rudolph was yesterday morning and the first race of the Winter Series was this afternoon.

While yesterday wasn't exactly a bad run for me, it wasn't a great one either.  Today I felt more rested and more prepared, and was ready to run.  I didn't have any big plans or major goals for this race, except for maybe a course PR (last race on this course was the Run with a Cop back in June, which I ran in 31:36).

I set out at what felt like a nice easy pace and just ran.  It was a "Forrest Gump" kind of moment - "I just felt like running".  Started out farther back today than I did yesterday, so I didn't feel the pressure to be super fast at first, and I could just run my own pace.  Looked at the Garmin a few times, and was surprised to see the numbers that I did.  I wasn't sure I could keep it up, but I did, even managed negative splits.  

About half mile or so from the finish, a random guy running next to me looked over at me and said "let's pass those guys", so I took up the challenge and picked up the pace and passed those guys, and probably the next 4 or 5 people too. 

I don't know who he was, but I owe him a big "Thank You!!"  Not only did he give me the push to give me a new 5K PR, but he made me see that I can probably run the whole race  faster than I have been.  I'm starting to think about  my running goals for 2012, and I may need to revamp my goal 5k time to be a bit faster than I was planning  :o)    Three cheers for improvement!!!  So excited that I'm making so much progress.  And I thought I'd never be a runner!

Garmin Time:
3.14 miles, 29:17, avg. pace: 9:19
Splits:
Mile 1 - 9:39
Mile 2 - 9:28
Mile 3 - 8:58
Mile 0.14 - 8:32
 

No comments:

Post a Comment