Monday, December 26, 2011

2011 Goal Recap

I know the year isn't quite over yet, and this goal review may seem a bit premature, but oh well; it is what it is.

1. Read 100 books
Since there's no possible way to read 22 more books in the next 4 days (I'm a fast reader, but not that fast!), I'm going to have to say I didn’t quite make it to 100.  BUT I did finish 78. Discovered that training to run a half marathon takes up a lot of reading time. :o) Wasn’t the 100 that I wanted, but it’s still a lot of books.

2. Run Charleston Distance Run (15 miler)
I focused on some other things this year (like goal #3) and deferred this one to 2012, but I don’t think I’ll get it then either. Due to scheduling and other events, I don’t think it’s a good idea. It’s only a few weeks after I’m due to finish the Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk for the Cure (60 miles in 3 days).  But someday. it'll happen.

3. Run a half marathon
Done! I ran the Marshall University Half Marathon on Sunday, November 6, 2011. Had a goal to finish in 2 ½ hours, and I finished in 2 hours 25 minutes. It was hard. It was painful. It was challenging. It was probably one of the most rewarding things I’ve done. I can’t wait to run the next one.

4. Pick up the pace to 10mpm
Done and then some (for a 5k anyway)! Worked on this one all year. First 10 minute mile 5k was the Great Teays 5k on July 16 (finished in 31:07, average of 10:02 per minute). 2 months later at the CDR 5k I got under 10 mpm: finished in 30:42, which is an average pace of 9:48 per minute. And I only got faster from there. Ran 3 more 5ks in 2011, and finished all 3 in under 30 minutes. Finished 2011 with a 5k PR of 29:17, average of 9:19 minutes per mile.

 
 
Still working on my goals for 2012, but I will say that they will involve some hard work and determination. ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment