Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thoughts on Running Smart vs. Running Long

Nike+ miles for this week: 6.05
Garmin miles for this week: 6.06


Daily Mile miles for this week: 6

What do these 3 pictures tell you? (other than the fact that I have an addiction to tracking my miles...) They tell you that I'm not running much this week. Only 6 miles logged, and I'm half embarassed to admit that only 2.89 of those are actually miles run. The others are walks for the dog.

On Tuesday, I was supposed to run 6 miles. I ran 1.01. Tonight (Thursday), I was supposed to run 10. I ran 1.88.

Why?

Because my body is telling me to take it easy.

My mind is not liking it much. I have 7 weeks to get ready for the Charleston Distance Run. And my mind says I need every one of those weeks. I need to be running long to prepare for the 15 mile distance.

However, I've made up my mind that if I don't feel ready for the CDR by August 15, I'm not going to run it. Hard decision to make since I've been looking forward to it all year. But if I'm not ready, I'm not ready.

I'd much rather not run the race because I wasn't ready than not run the race because I was stupid and ran myself to an injury training for it.

So I'm doing the hard thing and listening to my body instead of my brain, and taking it easy this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment