Saturday, July 16, 2011

Race report - Great Teays 5k

Quite a few years ago, my dad ran this race and got a t-shirt. It was too small for him, so he gave it to me. Being a t-shirt loving girl, I wore it a lot. Sometimes when I did, somebody would ask if I'd run the race. And I'd have to say no. Not anymore.

I can now legitimately wear my own Great Teays 5K shirt. And I can wear it with pride.

I was told this was a kind of tough course, with some hills and offroad mulchy sections, and it would be tough to make my goal finishing time. On top of that I've been taking it easy this week because I've been trying to head off a potential injury. So I was a little nervous about running the race at all. So glad I did.

Even though I took off a bit fast at the start (like always... trying to work on that), I had little to no trouble with the hills. Only walked a couple of times throughout the course and for a very, very short distance/time each time. Kept the person that I had picked to keep in sight in sight the whole time (thank you, whoever you are! you were a great pacer!) The mulch that I was told was so hard to run on was actually hard packed dirt/gravel and wasn't an issue at all.

My goal time was 31 minutes. I came around the last turn and saw the clock. It was under 31 (around 30:40 or so i think), but could I make it? I thought probably not, but I was sure going to try! And try I did. Picked up the pace and sprinted to the end. My garmin was at 31:07. official race results say 31:08.

Another 5k PR. Ok so I've only run 4 of them, but I'm very happy that I've been able to get progressively better. Shows that all my hard work is paying off and I love the feeling of accomplishment.

Race 1: Black Walnut Festival Nut Run, 10/11/09 - 38:09
Race 2: Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, 5/7/11 - 31:39
Race 3: Run with a Cop, 6/11/11 - 31:31
Race 4: Great Teays 5K, 7/16/11 - 31:08

Splits & other technical info for GT5K:
Mile 1 - 9:41
Mile 2 - 10:04
Mile 3 - 10:27
Mile 4(0.1) - 8:39
Total time - 31:07
Avg. pace - 10:01

No comments:

Post a Comment