Friday, April 15, 2011

It's my birthday!

I turn 36 today. I don't feel 36 (not that I really know what 36 is supposed to feel like...) Anyway... in honor of #36, here are 36 things that I love and am thankful to have had in my life...

  1. I'm alive! (statistics show that the people with the most birthdays live the longest, so yay! I've reached another one!)

  2. I'm healthy!

  3. I can do things I never thought I could (or would) - like run, run, run.

  4. Marc - my totally awesome husband. He'll be embarassed that I mentioned him, but he's my love and my life. I love him more and more everyday. (sorry so mushy babe, but it's true)

  5. Bree - my shadow, my companion, my pet, my furchild. She brings me so much joy.

  6. My Gramma (Dad's mom). I feel so blessed to have her in my life for as long as I have. Love her bunches

  7. My Grampa (Dad's dad)- Grampa died at the end of January. He was a quiet man of few words. But his quiet strength shaped me in many ways

  8. Buppy (Mom's dad) - He died in May 2004. My partner in crime, one of my heroes.

  9. Mama (Mom's mom) - Another angel waiting for me in heaven.

  10. My Daddy - my hero. Another quiet, strong man

  11. My Mom - so many things to say and not enough words to say them.

  12. My brother - Big brothers - what can you say - he's my best friend; the person I can count on to drive me totally crazy and be there for me in a second if I need him. My antagonizer and my champion.

  13. My family - So many not specifically mentioned. All are important and loved and have influenced me in so many ways. They say you can't choose your family, but I'm pretty sure that if I had a choice, I'd have chosen all of you.

  14. My "Girls" - Becca, Jen, Keira, Shannon. College buddies turned lifelong friends. The kind of friendship we have is a gift from God, and I'm so blessed to have these 4 wonderful women in my life

  15. My education - taken me in some interesting directions and to work in many places where I never imagined I would be.

  16. My job - fun, interesting, fulfilling. (and it pays the bills too!)

  17. My work family - Make the days interesting and fun, and sometimes challenging.

  18. My church - although it has kind of dropped the ball lately (which could be partly my fault), my church and church family played a huge part in making me who I am

  19. Music - I played both the piano & violin as a child. Had music loving parents who played a wide variety of music (classical, 60's folk, etc) to their captive audience children while traveling in the car. Which gave me a wide music education and a deep appreciation for the different kinds of music out there. I may like some styles more than others, but I can appreciate the talent and genius behind it all.

  20. Books - oh my the books. Don't know what I would do without them. Reading is like breathing for me. I have to do it. I'm like Burgess Meredith in the Twilight Zone episode. Gotta have my books. (knock on wood that I don't break my glasses....)

  21. Writing - I don't do it often, and with this blog I'm trying to do it more, but sometimes the best way to sort through my feelings is to write. Doesn't matter what, it's the act of getting the words onto paper (or the screen). Someday, I will write a novel. Maybe

  22. Shoes - So much more than just foot protection. I love shoes. So many shoes, so few feet. Sad I can only wear 2 at a time...

  23. Crayons - Good ol' fashioned Crayola crayons. A world of opportunity and creativy in one small box.

  24. Oreos - Nothing can make a bad day better than box of Oreos.

  25. Scissors - Got stress? Grab some paper and some scissors and start cutting. The simple act of destruction is very helpful to vent some frustration.

  26. Sunshine - warm, bright, cheerful, lovely

  27. Rain - refreshing, cool, cleansing

  28. Mud - yep, I like mud and dirt (in it's place). A muddy, dirty child (adult, dog, whatever) is probably a happy child (adult, dog, whatever). Playing in mud is just fun.

  29. Snow - cold, quiet, pristine, renewing. (Disclaimer - snow is awesome in December, January, & February. Any other time it's just annoying)

  30. The internet - an amazing source for information (good & bad) and for connecting in small ways with total strangers

  31. Grape Koolaid - It's just good. An indulgence for my inner child.

  32. Old cemeteries - I can wander for hours through old cemeteries. History fascinates me and while walking amongst the headstones of those who lived a hundred years ago, I can't help but imagine. Imagine how they lived; imagine how they died.

  33. Clowns - Some people hate clowns or are terrified of them. To me, they are the epitome of joy and childhood. The embodiment of fun. When I was about 3 we went to the circus and one of the clowns came up to us and sat on my mom's lap. An amazing, happy, hilarious moment that has stuck with me forever.

  34. Snoopy - the lovable beagle. Snoopy rules.

  35. My baby blanket - 36 years old now and just as treasured now as it was when I was an infant. It's been everywhere with me and everything to me. A blanket to keep me warm; Security when I was scared; a comfort in times of chaos.

  36. My Teddy Bear - Like my "banky", Teddy is still treasured. A trusted friend and confidant.

No comments:

Post a Comment