Friday, April 1, 2011

The best laid schemes…

The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,

Gang aft agley,

An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,

For promis'd joy!


 

    - "To A Mouse", Robert Burns


 

I had plans for this week.  Not big ones.  Just a couple of things that I wanted to have accomplished. Well, the universe decided it wanted to teach me a lesson about making plans. It wanted to teach me that sometimes it likes to laugh at plans.

Plan #1 – I wanted to have my first week of running/walking 25+ total miles in 2011.

You'd think that since it was the last week of March that the weather would cooperate with that goal. Ummm, no, not so much. It's been cold, rainy, and snowy, and basically downright miserable. I can handle weather like we've had this week in winter, but not when it's supposed to be spring. So my 25+ mile week is going to end up a 13 mile week.

Plan #2 – I wanted/needed to get the state inspection and the tires rotated on my car.

When my office is literally right next door to a Tire Center that does inspections, you'd think I could get this accomplished easily. Various little nitpicky things kept me from taking it in Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I planned to drop it off Thursday morning. Turns out some family issues made it a bad day to be without a car, so I couldn't do it Thursday. Tried to get it done twice today (Friday) but neither place could do it. (The first place could do the tire rotation that I requested, but not the inspection. Seriously? You're gonna have the wheels off anyway - You can't inspect it while it's up on the rack?? ) (the second place at least had a legitimate excuse)

Add to that a bunch of little annoying things that haven't turned out quite right, and it's been one of those weeks. So for the next few days I'm shaking off the plans, and taking the weekend as it comes.

Call me a glutton for punishment, but next week starts a new plan. Another shot at getting the car inspected and another weekly mileage goal. Maybe the universe will shoot me down again and maybe not. We'll all just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment