Sunday, October 2, 2011

Training for the Half - Weeks 1 & 2

Today marks the end of the first 2 weeks of my half marathon training, and I'm well on my way to being more than well prepared for the race.

Instead of my usual, "I'm gonna run until I feel way too tired to go on, and then walk for a short time, and then run again" non-structured pattern, I decided I needed to do something different. I know myself well enough to know that if I went out with my usual non-pattern style of running/walking, I'd run out of gas way to early and would have to struggle to finish.

So, I've adopted a run/walk interval of 3 minutes running and 1.5 minutes walking, and it's changed my whole attitude towards the long runs: they actually feel easy! And I finish with an average pace that's faster than when I throw structure out the window and try to run as much as possible. (and as my husband says, if the run/walk thing didn't work, Jeff Galloway wouldn't be where he is today...)

I may tweek the timing of the intervals a bit in the next 5 weeks before the race, but the 3/1.5 seems to work really for me. We'll see how it goes.

Training Runs:

Week 0:
Sunday, September 18 - 7.01 miles, 11:42 mpm

Week 1 (7 weeks to go):
Tuesday, September 20 - 4.56 miles, 11:36 mpm
Thursday, September 22 - 5.01 miles, 11:18 mpm
Sunday, September 25 - 10.07 miles, 11:28 mpm

Week 2 (6 weeks to go):
Tuesday, September 27 - 8.17 miles, 11:13 mpm
Wednesday, September 28 - 4.01 miles, 10:43 mpm
Thursday, September 29 - 8.2 miles, 11:41 mpm

On to Week 3! 5 weeks to go! I can do this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment