Sunday, May 18, 2014

Race Reports - Komen 5k & Dog Jog 5k

Getting a little behind with my race reports.  Not a whole lot to say about the 5ks I ran this month, but here's a quick recap:

Saturday, May 3, 2014
Komen Race for the Cure 5k

Despite my good intentions to run more this spring than I did last spring, I didn't get out there quite as much as I hoped I would. When the half that I was going to run in April got cancelled, I lost my motivation (I do much better when I have something specific to train for). But I declared May to be the beginning of my summer of "better, faster, stronger," and resolved to get out and run, run, run. I knew I wasn't really in any shape to run the Komen 5k fast (for "fast" read "faster than I ran any 5ks in 2013"), but I was going to give it a try. It didn't happen, but that's ok; I didn't expect it to. I set my watch for 2:1 run:walk intervals, and just went out to see what would happen. The interval was just right, I could run at a decently fast pace for me (low 10s, high 9s) and know I had a rest break coming fairly soon. I kept my focus on myself, and didn't worry about what everybody else was doing, not caring who passed me or who I passed; I just did my thing and crossed the finish line.

Race Stats:
Komen 5k
Saturday, May 3, 2014
Finish Time: 34:07 (garmin); 33:48  (official)
Pace: 10:56mpm (garmin); 10:53 (official)


Saturday, May 10, 2014
Dog Jog 5k

Still not sure what happened with this one. It did not go anywhere near what I planned. It was hot, it was humid, the course was crowded, I wasn't ready; all factors that led to a slightly disappointing finish time.

Positive: the puppies and dogs that were there were cute. Adoptable, but I didn't bring any home (some day we'll get another, but not yet)

Race Stats:
Dog Jog 5k
Saturday, May 10, 2014
Finish Time: 36:30 (garmin); 36:34 (official)
Place: overall 73 of 2ll; 41 of 149 women; 10 of 41 in age group

No comments:

Post a Comment