Friday, August 17, 2012

A house full of books and "nothing" to read....

"Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink"
          - Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Samuel Taylor Coleridge

"Books, books everywhere and not a word to read"
          - Lament of a Book Lover, Melissa Schwarz Fuentes

I have a definite First World dilemma this evening.  I can't find anything to read.  I have a box full of new books I'm taking to the beach with me, 2 bookcases full of books, a big plastic tub full of books, and who knows how many books stashed away in other locations.  But I can't find anything that I want to read.

Or that I want to read right now.  The books in the box I'm saving for the beach, so I don't want to read any of them now.  The big tub is full of books that have been previously read and are waiting to find a way to a new home; some of them I enjoyed, others not so much, and I don't feel like re-reading any of them.  The bookcase in the office is full of books I read and enjoyed and may someday read again. But none seem appealling today.  The bookcase in the family room is full of my much loved favorites. Here's where you find the books with the broken spines, the dog-eared pages, the wear and tear of multipe readings.  I could read some of them again.  However...

My brain is going through an attention deficit phase right now.  I can't seem to stay focused  (Look!  Squirrel!!) on anything for very long.  (the above paragraph took way longer to write than it should have).  So while I love and adore you Diana Gabaldon, George R.R. Martin, Stephen R. Lawhead, J.K. Rowling and company, you all write very long books that are parts of rather long series.  And it's impossible to stop with just one of the series; you read the first and you're sucked into the story (I really need to vacuum) and have to read them all.  And my brain is not in any position (the dog is snoring, while laying on her back) to fully appreciate any of your fine works.

oh oh oh, I just rememberd, hanging around here somewhere is a compilation of short stories, edited by Mr. Martin, and containing a story by Ms. Gabaldon.  Short stories may just be the thing...  Now if I can only find it....

No comments:

Post a Comment