Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Brain v. Body

My brain and my body are at war this week.   

This week has been made up of a bout with a stomach bug and a general run-down tiredness, an incredibly busy non-running schedule, and a trip out of town for the weekend. 

With all of this, the body is saying “I don’t care if you’re in the middle of training for a half marathon; I need a break”.

The brain is saying, “but you’re in the middle of training for a half marathon, you need those runs and those miles to be ready.”

The body replies, “But I need rest to heal, recover and revive.”

Brain, “But you need training.”

And on and on, you get the picture.   

So here I am, in the middle of week 4 of my half training, listening to my body, and taking a rest week. 

While it feels a bit counterproductive, I’m fairly sure missing one training week (and a shortened one at that) isn’t going to put me too far behind.  I really do need the training time, but I’m hoping in the end it’s the right thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment