Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Random Thought - on running alone

In the almost 2 years that I've been a runner, I have run the majority of my runs with my husband, Marc. But in the past couple of months, I've started to run more solo runs: some training runs during my lunch hour, some 5k races that he hasn't wanted to run, etc. And since Marc is dealing with an injury I've had to run my last two runs alone while he's healing up - a 9 miler on the road in KSF on Sunday and a 3 miler this evening in our neighborhood.

The 9 miles in KSF was a refreshing, renewing, great run; even though it was a lot of miles and it rained the whole time. The 3 miles in the neighborhood was lonely, hot, and more work mentally than it should have been.

The interesting conclusion I've drawn from this: I'm perfectly fine with running by myself away from home, but have a really hard time with it in the neighborhood. Which seems a little backwards, but I guess it matters what you're used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment