Sunday, May 22, 2011

Inspiring Thoughts

Sometimes I get a little discouraged. Like yesterday when it took me 2 hours and 20 minutes to run 9 miles. It was a tough course, but I should've been able to do it faster than that; I wanted to do it faster than that; I know I can do it faster than that.

Instead of being down and feeling sorry for myself, I need to remember:

"In running, it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say, 'I have finished.' There is a lot of satisfaction in that."
-Fred Lebow, New York City Marathon co-founder

"You also need to look back, not just at the people who are running behind you but especially at those who don't run and never will... those who run but don't race...those who started training for a race but didn't carry through...those who got to the starting line but didn't in the finish line...those who once raced better than you but no longer run at all. You're still here. Take pride in wherever you finish. Look at all the people you've outlasted."
- Joe Henderson

"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."
Dr. George Sheehan

No comments:

Post a Comment