Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Weighty Thoughts

Tonight, for some unknown reason, I stepped on a scale for the first time in months. How much i weigh has never been a concern for me. It doesn't really matter to me what the number is. Maybe because I've been thin all of my life. I was the knobby kneed skinny kid; the slightly less knobby kneed, but still skinny teenager; the thin twenty-something and the thin thirty-something that gets envied. Until recently, i was never athletic, just naturally thin.


I've never been concerned about my weight, but others seem to feel free to voice their concern for me. It seems every RA in every dorm i lived in in college had a floor meeting about eating disorders, always giving me pointed looks throughout the presentation. I know one guy who tells me i need to eat a sandwich every time i see him, Just yesterday, i was told that i looked "itty bitty".


I'm thinking that those people would be incredibly surprised to find out i've actually GAINED weight in the past few months, rather than lost it. As a matter of fact, I was surprised to see the number that I did on the scale. (a very healthy number, with a healthy BMI, but a surprise nonetheless.)


I took up running about a year and a half ago to get stronger and fitter. In my running journey, i have discovered a few major things about myself. I'm stronger and capable of way more than i thought; my body seems to prefer longer distances over shorter ones; and running those long distances makes you hungry!!!!!


I'm guessing the weight is just distributed differently and is in muscle form, causing people to think i look "itty bitty" when in fact i weigh more than i have in a long time.


So i will continue to run, continue to eat, continue to not care about the number on the scale. All i, and the rest of the world, need to know is that I'm healthy, happy, and having fun

No comments:

Post a Comment